Have you seen the accent video blogs going around the internet lately? Bloggers from all over are recording themselves saying a few specific words and answering some questions so that others can hear what their accents sound like.
I mean, allegedly.
Probably it’s some kind of scam to get us all to record a certain set of phonemes so someone in a sound lab somewhere deep underground in an ice castle can cobble together a reasonable facsimile of our voices in order to hatch some devious plot. What do you mean I watch too many spy movies?!
Regardless, due to my love of accents and regional colloquialisms of all kinds, I have been eagerly enjoying all of these videos. Sooner or later, I had to make my own. The problem is that I am very awkward on video and I recorded it with PhotoBooth on my Mac, and I had no idea where to look — at the camera? At the image of me? At the list of words I was reading? So I look sort of shifty-eyed the entire time. Forgive my awkwardness, or at least try not to look directly at it.
Here is the text to read if anyone wants to play along and record your own (please do; oh, please, please do!!).
The Word List: Aunt, Route, Wash, Oil, Theater, Iron, Salmon, Caramel, Fire, Water, Sure, Data, Ruin, Crayon, Toilet, New Orleans, Pecan, Both, Again, Probably, Spitting image, Alabama, Lawyer, Coupon, Mayonnaise, Syrup, Pajamas, Caught.
• What is it called when you throw toilet paper on a house?
• What is the bug that when you touch it, it curls into a ball?
• What is the bubbly carbonated drink called?
• What do you call gym shoes?
• What do you say to address a group of people?
• What do you call the kind of spider that has an oval-shaped body and extremely long legs?
• What do you call your grandparents?
• What do you call the wheeled contraption in which you carry groceries at the supermarket?
• What do you call it when rain falls while the sun is shining?
• What is the thing you change the TV channel with?
So tell me: do I have a southern accent? Yay or nay? Do you know other terms/expressions that answer the questions above? Let me know.